Increase your effectiveness and empower your team through successful delegation. Here are 6 steps to consider.
- Push Yourself. Work on delegating responsibility and holding others accountable. Avoid choosing the “easy way out” or assuming “their plates are full” by doing it yourself. Start delegating!
- Identify Opportunities. When reviewing a problem or goal, challenge yourself by asking, “Who else can do this, either now or after some training?” Strive to delegate the “do-ables” and oversee the “deliverables.” This frees up time for nurturing other leaders.
- Use 3-Pronged Approach. Delegation, Elimination, and Setting Priorities. Focus on eliminating tasks that do not provide value, setting priorities for tasks, and then delegating the remainder in a 360° circle – to peers, boss, customers, and direct reports as appropriate. To gauge effectiveness, try delegating just one task a week and monitoring results. (Doesn’t delegating 50 tasks a year sound enticing?).
- Communicate Well. Successful delegation involves communicating, setting timeframes and goals, and then getting out of the way. Clearly explain what, when and why in your assignment, being open to how.
- Clarify Understanding. Ask the team member to reflect back his/her understanding of the expectations. Ask, “What do you expect to experience in this task?” “What results do you expect?”
- Provide Positive Feedback. Openly support others, recognizing their contributions and personal development.